Macclesfield - Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia.
The town was laid out in 1841 by the Davenport brothers and named after the Earl of Macclesfield, for whom the founders' father was the agent. It is a pretty little village serving the local farming interests. There is a definite Georgian touch to some of the architecture, reflective of its establishment in the earliest phase of the colony, before the distinctive colonial style had emerged. Like Echunga, it is also on the road less travelled between Adelaide and the south coast.
Click on a thumbnail to view the whole photo along with a description.
Click Here to return to the Photos index.