The town has a strong connection with Mother Mary McKillop, the Catholic educationalist. She opened the first of her many schools here in 1866, with Father John Tennyson Woods.
The town is small enough to be a walker's paradise and the heritage buildings are well signposted.
The district is now a major wine producing region. The nearby Penola Conservation Park is well worth a visit - rural preservation matching urban.